Monday, August 30, 2010

A Beginning

So my first post! How to start. . .well the whole point of this small project has two parts. Firstly as a measure of progress for my own sakes, as I attempt to teach myself the sort of skills that seems to have passed a majority of my generation by (that might be a generalisation, I know many wonderfully skilled women around the same age as myself, but I also know at least twice as many with no desire whatsoever to even learn anything like this). Secondly it's an easy way to share my projects with family, friends and I guess anyone else that might be interested around the world. 

Who am I? Sarah, a 19 year old student at the University of Canterbury in Christchurch, New Zealand. I taught myself to cross stitch when I was 8 years old, after seeing a friend working on a kiwi while watching our younger brothers play soccer. I've been cross stitching on and off ever since and over the last 2-3 years it's become a more regular hobby. Until recently, other crafts have passed me by. But something has changed (I'm not entirely sure what) and I'm becoming more appreciative of other crafts and found a desire to learn them too! Which brings us to this blog, which will hopefully document my journey into teaching myself and being taught how to embroider, knit, sew and countless other things I have my eye on. 

Where am I starting from? I can cross-stitch well and am getting to the stage where I'm looking to experiment and challenge myself a bit more. I've recently started to learn to knit under my mum's wing and can manage an adequate knit/garter stitch, but haven't even attempted purling yet (let alone increasing, decreasing and the like). My sewing machine skills are extremely rusty, the last time I consistently touched one was late primary school. I can do a pretty good running stitch by hand, and a pretty messy whip stitch. On a slightly-related-maybe-sometimes-featured note, I'm also a beginning but very enthusiastic baker. 
I'm on a student budget and most of my small stash were either gifts or bought off auction sites. I also don't own a sewing machine but have access to a few. I do have plenty of enthusiasm and patience!!


Current goals? Learn to "finish" my cross stitching in style ie: as practical or beautiful items that aren't just a picture hanging in a frame - to see what I mean check out the blogs on my list ----> some of their work is so inspiring! Challenging myself with the type of stitching I do would also be good, increasing my skills with the sewing machine and learning how to purl! 

There we go, an introduction, and a pretty wordy one at that! But it's something to go on, and we'll see where I end up next! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog! I love hearing from you and appreciate every one.