Here we are, with my newest actually finished project. I decided to reaquaint myself with the sewing machine while visiting my parents and this was the result; a simple square pincushion. It took me all of half an hour and even though some of the sewing is kind of wonky, I think it turned out pretty snazzy. The instructions I used are here.
Although the method's designed for use with old hankerchiefs, I used just a square piece of fabric from a pair of old pyjamas, a couple of old buttons and some replumped stuffing from a cushion inner that had seen better days. So best of all it was completely free! I even found some matching pins.
Lots of progress still to be made, but as far as brushing up on the sewing machine goes I don't think it's such a bad start!