Wednesday, September 8, 2010

More from the Kitchen

As I've had some free time over the last few days and stitching is on hold until the cotton and aida for my next project arrive (it needs to be finished by later in the month so I don't want to start anything to ambitious in the meantime) I've turned to the kitchen! Which fits in quite well considering the nature of my last cross stitch! As I've said previously, I am really a beginner, but a very enthusiastic baker. My scones and cookies are firm favourites but I haven't branched out much. Over the last few days though I decided to try something new, including my first attempt at carrot cake. . .


Carrot Cake is MORE than a family favourite here and is usually my brother's speciality cake, hence why I've never given it a whirl before. I admit, I'm also not very experienced with cakes. But all things considered I think it turned out pretty well, even though I over-softened the butter and the icing was extremely runny, as you can see in the photo! The taste must have compensated though, as less than 24 hours after I made it there's none left - I had to have a slice for breakfast to make sure I'd get a piece! 

Today I went for something more on the savoury side and made pinwheels. I love savoury pinwheels because they're yummy, incredibly easy, and if you use ready-made puff pastry make hardly any mess!  I've seen instructions online usually use a tomato paste based filling, but I prefer one my grandmother used to use regularly; a thin-ish layer of marmite (I know I'm a kiwi and I'm meant to love marmite, but seriously, use it lightly), cheese, ham/bacon and finely diced onion. Glazed with beaten egg and whacked in the oven for 20 minutes and they're done. 

Scrummy as! And fills in a bit of time :P 
On another note I've noticed that the girl in the cross stitch I just completed looks superficially rather like me, so I now have a stitchy profile picture! 
I'm looking forward to new bits for my stash arriving so I can get started on a special cross-stitch project, but more on that when the time comes. . .

*Sarah*

2 comments:

  1. oh wow.... i want to be in your kitchen... this pictures are making my mouth water... stop it ! stop it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it must smell great in your kitchen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog! I love hearing from you and appreciate every one.