Thursday, October 28, 2010

Sarah's in the Kitchen

I'm on holiday!! Well mostly. I still have an exam to go, but as it isn't for two weeks I'm not panicing yet! Fantastically, summer has decided to finally arrive now as well. So for the last few days I've been relaxing and enjoying the sun. 

The knit/purling is coming along well, I'll showcase that sometime in the next couple of days. For tonight, I thought I'd show off my efforts in the kitchen. Our flat rotates on a once-a-week cooking schedule. With a flat of 6 it works well, as we each cook one night and then fend for ourselves on Saturdays. Usually I just throw something quick together, but while I'm on holiday I have a bit more time to try out new things :) 

Tonight's offering: My Mum's Quiche (the recipe doesn't actually originally come from mum, but she's made it for as long as I remember and it's awesome). 


It's a pretty adaptable recipe. Tonight I made it with asparagus, kumara (sweet potato for any non-kiwi's reading) and mushrooms. Usually I'd include meat, but one of my flatmates is vegetarian so it's always good to accommodate her eating needs too! It didn't turn out quite as good as mum's (when does it ever) but on the whole very acceptable :P 

And for pudding? I don't usually make a desert, but as I already said, I have time! So Bubble Log it is. Easy, quick and quintessentially Kiwi. It's the type of thing that disapears fast. I had to stick a sign in it while it was in the fridge to stop it going before it had time to set! 

 
In the pan


And on the plate :)

I really do love Bubble Log. It's ridiculously sweet and morish. Here's the recipe: 

Ingredients

  • 125g of butter
  • 2 tablespoons of honey
  • 125g of brown sugar (or 125g white sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla essence)
  • 4 cups of rice bubbles/krispies/whatever you call them in your part of the world
  • 1/2 cup of dessicated coconut (sultanas also give it a bit of variety) 
Then . . . 
  •  Combine butter, honey and sugar in a saucepan and melt together, bringing to the boil for 3 minutes - stir constantly so sugar doesn't burn while its melting together. 
  • Take off the heat and stir in vanilla essence (if using) and coconut until well combined. 
  • Add rice bubbles and combine.
  • Pour into a greased slice tin and spread evenly. Refridgerate until set - I try for 1-2 hours to make it properly stick together. 
  • Remove from fridge and slice using a butter knife. If properly set it should slice easily and cleanly. 
  

Told you it was easy. Not the healthiest thing in the world but a great treat. When I told my man this morning I was making it this afternoon he assured me he could eat a whole pan of the stuff by himself and I know plenty of people that would echo his sentiments!

That's all for now,
*Sarah*



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog! I love hearing from you and appreciate every one.