Monday, January 17, 2011

Not enough to see in the dark with. . .

I mentioned in a previous post that this week was my Dad's birthday. Quite an important one number wise as it happens, but I won't mention how old for fear of repercussions :) 
As mum was working on the day (as was I but not until the evening) it fell to me to make his birthday cake, which as always, was a carrot cake. 


I've tried carrot cake baking before with limited success - mainly because I've never been patient enough to wait for the cake to cool properly before icing it, resulting in a bit of a sticky mess. But this one turned out pretty good. . as is evidenced by the fact it was half demolished before I even got a chance to take a photo!! 

It's one of the first recipes I've used from the tome of a baking book I got for Christmas and the note I ended up making beside it was "tastes fantastic but not particularly carroty." As I said in the title, not enough to see in the dark with . . . 

On that note I found this fantastic write-up and interview with Allyson Gofton, the author of my baking tome. A great perspective on how 'cooking' is viewed in modern day NZ as fashion statement rather than food. So many of my generation don't know how to boil an egg, let alone feed a family of 4 every day of the week. . .  just like they don't know how to sew, knit and the like. It wasn't that long ago that I couldn't boil an egg myself and I still don't think I'd have confidence cooking for 4 every night! It's what my whole blog is about really, my journey to learn such skills, which are valuable in immeasurable ways.

Anyway, thats enough! Plenty in the works at the moment, but most of it's under lock and key still until it gets to intended recipients.



*Sarah*

Summer Reading Challenge Update
Non-fiction read: 3 
Fiction read:4
Curently reading: The Political Animal. Still. I've been naughty. I was trying to properly read one for one, but Sara Donati's "Fire Along the Sky" ended with such a cliffhanger that I just had to rent the next in the series "The Queen's Sword" and jump into it right away. I'm now determined to finish The Political Animal, which doesn't deserve to have lanquished half-started so long.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog! I love hearing from you and appreciate every one.