Monday, January 24, 2011

Sewing Along with Cath Kidston

Those of you who are astute readers may have noticed that sometime over the last week my bio has changed from a "very-late-teens" kiwi crafter to a "very-early-twenties" one. As an early birthday present from my wonderful parents I recieved Cath Kidston's "Sew!", which I've had my eye on from the moment I got my sewing machine. It's full of practical projects for all skill levels, which is brilliant as it means I'll be continually entertained as I improve! 


I jumped into the bag on the cover almost straight away, as the materials for it came free with the book and I have a few long evenings at the moment working midnight shifts. I admit looking at the designs in the book I'd been glad I wasn't obliged to use Cath Kidston prints, which I'm not as much of a fan of. So the bag was more of a 'because it was there' project. But I fell in love with it as I worked and now I don't think I could give it up! 





I made one small adjustment to the design and substituted half an elastic hair band instead of the fabric for the rouleau loop, which made everything a lot easier. I also couldn't resist taking a photo of my brothers adorable kitten Munter, who is staying with us at the moment. He's such a character and was very interested in my photo-taking. Munter in NZ slang refers to someone who is just a little bit crazy and this kitten lives up to his name!


I've had covered coat-hangers on my project list for a while at mum's request and as the book included a pattern and instructions it seemed a good time to give it a go. This is my first attempt, using a bit of left over fabric from my skirt. 


So on the whole my new sewing machine is seeing a bit of use! You can expect a post soon showing off my other new birthday stash :)


That's all for now,
*Sarah*

3 comments:

  1. Great attempts Sarah, your cat is so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I love that book too! Although I do like the Cath Kidston fabric too (well...most of it). I don't use it for the sewing projects in the book because it's too hard to get here in Australia, and too expensive to ship from the UK. Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Thanks for the lovely comment on my blog! Just browsing yours and am so glad to see I am not the only one who scrapped the fabric loop for something different (I used a wee bit of ribbon!). I swear that fabric loop gave me a lot more grey hairs before I gave up trying to turn it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog! I love hearing from you and appreciate every one.