Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The End of Summer

Yes I'm back online! And yes it's finally here. . .  the end of my summer. On Monday I will start the new university year, hopefully the final year of my undergraduate degree. 

The end of summer means the end of my summer reading challenge. For those of you who don't remember or have joined us since, I challenged myself to read one non-fiction book for every fiction book I read over the summer. The final tally stands at:

Non-fiction: 5
Fiction: 5

So I've succeeded; that being said it's a relief to me that it's over. Reading non-fiction more regularly definitely extended my mind but it slowed my reading down a lot. I averaged less than one book a week, which for me over the holidays is pretty unusual.   

I knocked one book off in the non-fiction section of my I-want-to-read list, one that after reading I'd recommend to anyone: 


On the other hand I also added two books, so in cutting down the list I've moved backwards rather than forwards. I guess it gives me encouragment to keep reading non-fiction from time to time. For anyone interested my current non-fiction future reading list is:

1. Montaillou: The Promised Land of Error, by Emmanuel Le Roy Ladurie
2. Freakonomics: A Rouge Economist explores the Hidden Side of Everything, by S.D Levitt & S.J Dubner
3. Between a Rock and a Hard Place, by Aron Ralston
4. Europe and the People without History, by E.R Wolf
5. King Leopold's Ghost, by Adam Hochschild


It really mounts to far more than that, but those are the ones I've remembered for long enough to add to the list :) 
For anyone interested in my reading habits more generally, you can find my shelfari reading record here


Craftyness will be restored as soon as I get a chance to take some photos, so that's all for now.

*Sarah*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog! I love hearing from you and appreciate every one.