Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Vintage Needle Case

So it turns out I can still sew! I haven't pulled out the sewing machine in ages, mainly because we haven't had a table (we do now). 


My knitting needles have been loose in my big crafting bin for a while now and as the number of them increases the more annoying it was getting. You might have noticed a knitting needle case crop up on my "projects on my mind" list ----->


The fabric is from some of the vintage pillow cases I thrifted recently, the zip I picked up from my local sewing supplies shop for $2.70. Total cost about $3.10, can't argue with that! I used a pattern from Cath Kidston's "Sew", but it's pretty much just rectangles (plus a few extras) and took me less than two hours start to finish. 




Here you can see the lovely lining. I was massively happy with how it turned out, especially with how easily I got back into using the sewing machine after not touching it in a few months. I think teaching myself to crochet has made my "right, I can do this" confidence grow quite a bit.



If I was going to do it again I think I'd make it just a bit shorter. It's long enough to take even my longest of needles with almost 10cm to spare. But I'm happy. I love the fabric, I love how much it cost to make, I love how I'm re-using, I love how perfectly the zip is sewn in and that I did it myself. And I love that I won't have to take everything out of my massive craft bin anymore to find a pair of needles!

That's all for now,

*Sarah* 

Linking up to: 




and Our Creative Spaces 

11 comments:

  1. aw how pretty! perfect way to store all your needles :)

    Thanks for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea for your knitting needles. I am addicted to zippered pouches, and make them all the time, in different sizes - you CAN NEVER have too many zip pouches. I featured one in MCS today too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great idea! Loving the vintage pillow case fabric. I might have to make myself one too...my knitting needles are in a plastic bag and it has holes galore in it so they keep falling out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful little pouch! love the fabric!

    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fabric is perfect...you did a great job!
    jana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't you just love thrifted vintage sheets, they look good for every purpose!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! That is exactly (vintage pillow case & all) the same way I made a pouch for my crochet hooks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just gorgeous. I so need one of them, then maybe my kids will stops pinching my knitting needles!

    ReplyDelete
  9. it looks great! love the rosy print :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks gorgeous! I love the Autumny (is that a word?!) colours of the print.

    ReplyDelete
  11. love the vintage floral fabric! i get weak when i see vintage fabrics. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog! I love hearing from you and appreciate every one.