Monday, June 27, 2011

The Four Seasons

For one of my classes my exam revision involved listening to a lot of podcasts, ones that I'd listened to and taken notes on before, so I needed something to keep my hands busy while I was listening but wasn't difficult enough that I'd concentrate more on it then the podcast. I also mentioned in a recent post that I was thinking about trying blackwork. . . .

This is what I came out with. A (fairly) simple blackwork band sampler of the four seasons. The many many many rhodes squares were just what I needed when studying. But I don't want to see another one again for a while! 

 'Four Seasons Blackwork Band Sampler,' by Kincavel Krosses. Free Pattern found here
Completed using 18 count white aida and DMC 310.
 
I think the whole thing just lends itself to being a bookmark, even if it's a bit longer than the usual. If I can find a nice backing fabric sometime I'll make it up and keep it on hand. I didn't stitch it with anyone in mind, which is unusual for me, but it's a nice one to keep for when you need a gift for someone at short notice. Here's a close up of Spring and Summer. 


I think if I did it again I'd use one strand of black instead of two. I like the bolder lines but it meant some of the intricacies of the detail is pretty much invisible. Here's Autumn and Winter. 

 

Today I'm busy getting ready to head off on holiday. Tomorrow at approximately 3 o clock I get to pick up my man from the airport. FINALLY! We've been doing long distance for a long time, but it's been a longer wait than usual between seeing each other this time around, the longest we've ever had. So long that I'm not really even that excited yet, because my heart doesn't believe yet that he's on a plane somewhere between London and Dubai and I'll get to see him tomorrow! I don't think I'll believe it until he walks through the arrivals gate.

Have a great week everyone, see you all when I get back!

That's all for now,

*Sarah*

Find me linking up here and there

5 comments:

  1. This is wonderful! I love simple black and white, such a contrast to the elaborate design. Well, you say it's simple, but to me it looks incredibly complex. And gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this finish! It's very creative and I love the lettering. Have a wonderful holiday and enjoy the time you have with your man :) I'm sure it'll be great. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stitching!! Enjoy your holiday ! So nice for you to have your man back with you!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw wow, that looks really nice! I might give black work ago some time :D x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks complicated, well done you. Hope you enjoy your holiday with your man.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog! I love hearing from you and appreciate every one.