Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Slouchy Hat


On Monday there was another quake. 5.7, then a 6.3. I'm ok, my house is fine. One of my best friends has effectively lost his home. At least this time only one lost their life. At the moment we're playing the waiting game while the Uni decides what to do about exams . . . I've been trying to study, but not much luck so far, it's hard to concentrate without knowing what's going to happen and in constant aftershocks. But we're ok.

Anyways, after that slightly gloomy beginning, I did finish my slouchy hat! My second crochet project. It really is so slouchy, even after I took out a couple of rows. But I love it, especially the colour. 


The pattern is Brooke's Slouchy Hat on Ravelry. I used two and a bit balls of Naturally Loyal Aran 10 ply (100% wool).

I think my crochet is coming along. I admit I frogged on my first attempt, but I wasn't that far in and I got back to where I'd been up to within an hour. 


I can crochet!! I still can't believe how easy it was to learn. It's the first craft I've truly taught myself from scratch without a physical person to guide me along. I guess I should be thankful that we live in a world of youtube videos. I have an old needlework book that I picked up at a second hand book sale that had pictures, but I don't think I ever would have got it if I'd just tried to follow them. Now I can already single, double and treble crochet without even thinking about it. Wow! 

 
So what's the next project on the list? Exams, if we still have them. Though I was in the bookstore today and picked up a book on blackwork embroidery. . . so stunning and so simple! I have a couple of free patterns I downloaded a while ago, maybe I should give them a try. I also want to knit a cable scarf soonish as a present for someone. We shall see.

I may be linking up to these lovely ladies!

That's all for now,

*Sarah*
 
 

20 comments:

  1. Well done with your hat! Thank you for sharing the story behind the news, stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw you on My Girlish Whims and wanted to invite you to my new link party. Last week we had over 300 links, it was so much fun. It will run every Friday evening through Sunday. Hope to see you there. You can find the party button now on the blog if you want it for a reminder. http://www.bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blgospot.com/
    I am even going to have a special give away just for linkers this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool hat, it looks great! I'm trying to learn how to crochet but as yet I'm not having much luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well done. im just learning too.
    it is a great slouchy hat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great... Love the colour and your crochet work looks beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done! Your hat looks great! I have just taught myself (with the help of a book, my mum over the phone and you tube) to knit! It's a great feeling and you should feel very proud! Hope your exams and everything go well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. it looks fab! well done. Good luck with the exams too x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your hat looks great and congrats on learning to crochet. Good luck with the exams

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope the ground remains stable for you. It must be a very frightening time. Congratulations on learning to crochet - the hat looks cool

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job with the crochet!! Isn't it exciting when you learn something new and master it?! Very nice job!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to know you are safe and your friend too.

    The hat looks great. And way to go on teaching yourself to crochet. YouTube is a great resource!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's lovely. I'm glad you didn't end up frogging it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your hat is gorgeous!
    I'll be thinking about you. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The hat looks great - well done on learning a new skill on your own! : ) Sorry to hear about the quake, but glad you're safe. Good luck with exams!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The hat looks great! Congrats on learning to crochet! I learned how to crochet and knit from youtube. Stay safe. I know how that feeling is of just waiting for another aftershock to come, as I've been in some good sized earthquakes before since I live in Southern California. Oh yes, and welcome to FO Friday! Be sure to check out WIPW as well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That hat looks really cute! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your hat is beautiful. Isn't it a great feeling to have something pretty and know that you made it yourself? I hope the new craft will be comforting for you during this time of uncertainty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your hat is super cute!! :)

    I'm sorry to hear about more quakes in your area! I grew up (and still live) in Southern California and I've gotten to ride out a couple 7+ on the Richter Scale. Even with those experiences, the little ones still freak me right out.
    Here's hoping the ground mellows out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The hat looks fantastic---your crocheting looks gorgeous to me, and now I sort of want to try out the pattern...

    And I hope that the post-quake recovery is swift and happily resolved. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I anticipate my adornment is advancing along. I accept I frogged on my aboriginal attempt, but I wasn't that far in and I got aback to area I'd been up to aural an hour.

    Panama Hats

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog! I love hearing from you and appreciate every one.