Saturday, July 23, 2011

Engagement Stitching


A few years ago I received a kit for John Clayton's 'Calm Waters' from my now future mother-in-law as a Christmas present, after admiring one in the same circle series they have on their wall. My fiance loved the pattern and together we agreed that I would stitch it when we became engaged so we could hang it on the wall of our first home. So now's the time! 



 

It's going to be a BIG project, a 25cm diameter circle of solid stitching. Should keep me busy! But there's something I love about stitches of this size. If it's a pattern you love then it's such a joy seeing all of the subtle tones coming together to build up into a beautiful picture. You can see it happening already. . I've already used 4 different colours in just this small section. 

 
We also just received our first engagement present, which will probably go on the wall of our first home too! This stunning stitch was from my fiance's grandmother, who I've been learning a lot from when it comes to embroidery. 

 

You might have noticed that I like hanging embroidery on the wall. . . and fiance likes pictures of boats!

That's all for now,

*Sarah*

You can find me at these link parties

P.S Like the new winter layout? I thought it was about time! 

14 comments:

  1. I love that you had a cross stitch design just for this occassion, it will look beautiful hanging alongside the other gorgeous gift. Best wishes and happy stitching to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Calm Waters picture looks beautiful ! have fun stitching it!
    Love the boaty one too! Nice engagement pressie!!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your engagement! and, good luck with the mega cross-stitch project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on being engaged :) Love the depth of the colours in the section you've stitched already, that's a pretty intense project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your engagement picture is lovely. I have often wondered what to do with cross stitch when it is done, but yours are beautiful, like paintings so will look gorgeous hung on a wall

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love John Clayton's designs, tho' I've never stitched one - good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You'll treasure it always. My mom used to do really fine cross-stitching. When she passed away, we used some of her stitching as covers for photo books. It's lovely to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just lovely!! I don't know how to cross stitch and am always so jealous of the gorgeous things people make!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you are a braver woman than I, doing a cross stitch so big! I can't even manage to finish a small one. XD

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That looks super complicated, but it'll be beautiful when you finish. Congrats on your engagement.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous cross stitching. I don't know if I'd have the patience. Congrats on your engagement!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really gorgeous cross stitching and such a wonderful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on the engagement, and also on beginning such a lovely project. ;) The subtle-tones effect you mentioned really is beautiful already, and in such a small swatch!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats! That's such a sweet story!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog! I love hearing from you and appreciate every one.