Tuesday, August 2, 2011

An actual real cross stitch finish! Woop!!


For those of you who aren't cross stitchy there's two types of finishing in this world. There's finishing the stitching, which I can do. . . and there's actually FINISHING the cross stitch piece into something beautiful and often practical. Which for some reason I'm deathly afraid of. But recently I've really had the urge to sew and the pile of unfinished cross stitch has really been mounting up.

Remember this small piece? I had something else in mind for it, but inspiration struck me when I took a look at my needle tin. 

 
The solution to this mess? A needlebook, which is a pretty popular finish in the cross stitch world. And it was sooo easy. I really have no idea what I was so afraid of. 

 
Even with my comparative lack of sewing skills it only took a couple of hours from start to finish and every step was a joy. Probably thanks to this great tutorial . . . 


 

I think I can now tick the needlebook finish off the list as something I can do. I thought the day would never come. I can't wait to try something else now. . . I think I've got the bug, not to mention a pile of unfinished stitches.

Time to get back to scouting wedding locations!

That's all for now,

Sarah

I'll be linking up to the usual parties, plus Learn a New Technique at The Crafter's Apprentice.

The Crafters Apprentice


16 comments:

  1. Hey Sarah, thanks so much for linking! Hope to see you back soon with your next LANT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You a did a great job finishing. It's looking lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Sarah - I popped over from Wendy's LANT linky --- your needlecase is gorgeous! (Comparative) lack of sewing skills = I don't think so - you did a lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your needlebook! I can't wait to try out that tutorial myself. Hope you're having fun looking for wedding locations! How exciting :) Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the pattern is great and your needle book turned out great! they are so handy!! (i recently did one as well, so if you are interested have a look at my blog)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is something I really need to make, maybe could get my crochet hooks in there somehow too, thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks really handy, i think i need to put this on my todo list! now google following you, please pop by, Karima x www.karimascrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's fantastic. What a very clever way of keeping all your needles in one place. It's very sweet. Love the cross stitch cover.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - so pretty! I'm really jealous of all the beautiful cross stitching going on as I haven't the slightest idea how to do it! The tutorial looked really helpful too - great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job! I love it. It's so beautiful and useful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Try a pincushion. There are tons of cute ones out there. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute! I avoid the sewing up too; I'm afraid I'll botch it and the finished object won't be as nice as I'd hoped! You've done a great job though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's an awesome idea. I never would have thought to make felt pages to put needles into. What a great use for a cross stitch piece!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm pretty terrified of/bad at sewing, too, so I'm thrilled to hear that this project was a joy for you. :D I may have to give the tutorial a try, I've been wanting a needlebook.

    And I love yours, the colours and fabrics and that amazing cross stitch all come together really nicely.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog! I love hearing from you and appreciate every one.