Sunday, September 18, 2011

Awesome baking with hideous photos


Yep, I apologise for how bad these photos are. My camera does not like night time shoots, but I'm a night time baker and all to often by the morning whatever I've been baking is all gone. So it's night time or never!

Lately my concentration has been on quick and comforting as I work through the last 5 weeks of my degree. 5 minute chocolate cake? Has to be a winner. Those 5 minutes include the washing up.

There's a heap of recipes online for this one, but here's what I used, a bit of a mix of a few of them. 

 Better photos of similar via pinterest here and here

5 Minute Chocolate Cake (serves one, or two if you're really on a diet).

  • 2 Tbsp flour
  • 1 ½ Tbsp sugar
  • ½ tsp baking powder
  • 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
  • Pinch of salt
  • 2 Tbsp milk
  • ¼ tsp vanilla essence
  • 1 Tbsp oil

Measure all of the dry ingredients into a microwave safe coffee mug and mix, add wet ingredients and mix well until combined. Microwave for 1 minute (or longer/shorter depending on your microwave and mug, mine took 1 min, 10 seconds). Note that the mixture will double in size, so make sure it's a tall enough mug! Serve with a spoon of whipped cream/ice cream or just by itself. Best eaten straight away, as I've heard it tends to go rubbery if kept overnight. 

Last night I had such a craving for home made bread, but it was already 7pm, I still had class work to get done for the evening and there was no way I was going to eat at 10pm after letting bread go through two risings. Solution = Irish Soda Bread. Again this recipe is a bit of a mix of those I found online, using vinegar and water instead of buttermilk because it's what I had around. This made for a very dense loaf but it was fantastic dipped in soup.


No Buttermilk Irish Soda Bread (makes a medium sized loaf) 

  • 4 cups flour (I used half plain white, half wholemeal. Don't use bakers/bread flour, it contains to much gluten for this recipe).
  • 1 Tbsp sugar
  • ½ Tbsp baking powder
  • ½ Tbsp baking soda
  • 1 ½ cups of water
  • 2 Tbsp (white or cider) vinegar
Preheat oven to 200 C. Combine dry ingredients and mix. Mix water and vinegar. Make a well in the dry ingredients and mix in wet until forms a soft dough. Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead very lightly for a max of two minutes. Shape into a round approx 1 ½ inches high and place on a greased baking tray. Using a sharp knife cut an 'X' shape into the top of the round. Bake for 40 minutes, reducing temp to 180C for last 15 mins. Glaze while hot with 1 Tbsp softened butter if desired. 

So there you have it, two quick and easy recipes for when you're short on time but still craving homemade. 

I'm linking up here

That's all for now,

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog! I love hearing from you and appreciate every one.