Sunday, September 25, 2011

Weekend Baking: Almond Orange Florentines & Garlic Parmesan Pull Apart


This weekend has been a busy one for me, heading back to my hometown for Mum's birthday (it was a big one, but I won't tell you which) and to help host the extended family for a party. And to watch the big match, All Blacks vs. France. If you thought this crafty kiwi girl was immune to World Cup madness you'd be sadly mistaken, it was a great game and I even made a little bit of money in the family sweepstakes. $13 on a $2 bet (we're real big time hehe)!

Of course, extended family meals call for some baking. My contribution was two batches of basic one-saucepan chocolate brownie (one walnut, one raspberry and white choc) and a fantastic Garlic and Parmesan Pull Apart Bread. Sorry about the photo – I didn't take my camera home so this was a quick one snapped on my phone before it disappeared. 

 
The recipe was adapted from this one at The Pastry Affair and several family members have asked for it!

Garlic Parmesan Pull-Apart Bread

  • 2 Tbsp active dry yeast
  • 1 1/3 cups lukewarm water
  • 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil (plus extra for greasing)
  • 2 Tbsp salt
  • 3 ½ cups plain flour (plus extra for dusting)
  • ¼ cup butter, melted
  • 1 Tbsp dried parsley flakes or 2 Tbsp fresh, washed parsley finely chopped
  • 2 tsp minced garlic or 2 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
  • ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese

Stir together yeast and water, let sit for 5-10 minutes until foamy. Mix in the olive oil, salt and flour until forms a soft dough. Tip out onto a clean surface lightly dusted with flour and knead for 7-10 minutes until dough is elastic. Transfer dough into a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and a clean tea towel and let rise in a warm place for 1½-2 hours until doubled in size.
In a small bowl combine butter, parsley and garlic and mix well.
Punch down the dough and tear off pieces (original recipe called for very small pieces but I went larger to have more small bun sized), roll into a ball and layer in the bottom of a lightly oiled deep ovenproof dish. If doing small pieces with multiple layers, sprinkle parmesan cheese between layers. If doing larger pieces (I had 1 ½ layers) sprinkle over the top. Recover the dish with plastic wrap and tea towel and allow to rise until doubled in size (25-30 mins). Preheat oven to 175C and bake for 25-30 minutes or until bread is golden brown.

This week I also made some Almond Orange Florentines from a recipe at TwoSpoons, my favourite local foodie blog. I didn't place enough trust in the recipe and should have layered them even more thinly, so they burnt slightly around the edges. But they still tasted fantastic and make a GREAT light breakfast, so I'll be making them again! 

 
That's all for now,

I'm linking up to Weekend Baking at a Spoon full of Sugar and some other great blogs!

Sarah

4 comments:

  1. Your garlic parmesan pull apart bread looks amazing! We have a pizza night each weekend and I think that would complement the pizzas perfectly!

    Thanks so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! That garlic bread looks delicious!
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. That garlic parmesan pull apart looks delicious! I might just have to try that sometime!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh, my hubby would love that garlic pull apart bread! thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog! I love hearing from you and appreciate every one.