Saturday, October 15, 2011

An update on where I'm heading (personal post)


Apologies for what is going to be a pictureless post! It's also going to be a whats-going-on-in-my-life type post (all good, I promise), so if you're not into that sort of thing then turn off now! This is really just an explanation of why things might be a little bit quiet around here for the next couple of months, and an update for those of you who have been requesting one.

Thursday was my last day of classes. I should hand in my last assignment on Tuesday, at which time I will officially be finished my degree! I don't graduate until next April because our University is weird like that, but I'm finished. So next weekend I am moving out of my flat, my stuff is being moved into mum and dad's back in my hometown, as am I for a couple of weeks. I fly to the UK at the start of November via 15 hours in Singapore Airport. I get to spend a week and a half with my fiance's family in Wales before journeying to France to rejoin the lovely fiance (on the 16th of November I will be in three major cities in three different countries on the same day, isn't that cool!). I will be living in small town France from Mid-November until mid-December, when fiance and I go back to the United Kingdom to meet up with both his family and mine for Christmas and . . . . drumroll please. . . our wedding. We will be getting married in a small civil ceremony in South Wales on the 29th of December. We'll be getting married again next August in a more traditional religious ceremony here in New Zealand, but the small ceremony first makes travelling together easier and means our European family and friends can celebrate with us without having to fly all the way out to NZ!

After the wedding, husband and I will be back to France until late February-early March, when all gets busy again as we move back to New Zealand. We will hopefully be moving to the small port city of Timaru, which is two hours drive South of where I live now and an hour South of my hometown. It seems like the perfect place for us to properly begin our life together.

So I'm sorry if it becomes quiet around here (it's been quiet already I know, end of degree and all that) what with my travelling and happenings! I'm already planning what crafty stuff I can take with me. It will probably be mostly stitching – easy to transport. That being said, does anyone know if you can take crochet hooks on planes in your carry on? I know embroidery and knitting needles are no-nos, but crochet hooks aren't pointy or sharp. If you can, can anyone recommend me a simple-ish pattern for something easily transportable (maybe a scarf?) that doesn't take a lot of yarn. It would be awesome to be able to crochet my way through all the long haul flights.

That's all for now, normal programming will resume shortly as I hope to get some stitchy finishing done this afternoon.

Sarah

4 comments:

  1. I recently flew back from Australia, and there was a lady on the plane knitting, with wooden needles (she was making socks). So check with your airline, and also it may depend on where you are flying through. I am pretty sure it is metal needles only, not wooden ones. I have wooden crochet hooks also, so you may be able to acquire one of those, especially at a thrift shop.

    Hope that helps!

    Anna

    PS I also had a lovely lady explain to me that as long as the blade is shorter than 6cm, you can take whatever you want on a plane (I had a pocket multi-tool in my carry-on I had forgotten about).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got so many exciting things coming up, you must be so happy! Wishing you all the best for the adventures coming up in your life, I'd love to see updates whenever you can manage them. Best wishes to you and your fiance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many airlines have changed their regs recently about what crafty items can be taken on board. I always carry cross stitch with a Clover cutter before small scissors were allowed again. Hope all the arrangements go well, and we'll love to keep in touch whenever you have the time.
    Sandie (UK)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what an exciting time you have ahead of you! Enjoy every minute of it - (not that you need told to do that!) and do keep us updated here on your lovely blog when you do get the chance!
    best wishes from sunny Cairns!

    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog! I love hearing from you and appreciate every one.