Wednesday, April 11, 2012

April Showers + Quilting questions

Todays title is literal and stitching related. . .  it's April, it's showering. . . . and I was going to show you my progress on Country Cottage Needlwork's April Showers! Which is honestly not very much, because I haven't been doing a lot of stitching lately. The mojo came back last night with a vengence though so hopefully the needle will be flying soon.


In other news we had an absolutely gorgeous weekend in Lake Tekapo. . that place is seriously one of my favourite places on earth. Easter weather in NZ can be beautiful or horrible. It chose to be beautiful, which was nice. Here's a couple of photos. . .



I have lots of other stuff going on to share but I think some of that can wait until future posts. What I really want to do is ask my quilty followers some questions. One of my New Years Resolutions was to make a quilt and the dark gray couch in our white and blue lounge is really starting to annoy me.

So quilty friends . . . does anyone know of a website or blog that has a good learn-how-to-make-a-quilt series? Because my knowledge is not large. At all. Does this look like a good beginner pattern? It looks pretty easy but who knows!
Does anyone know of a fabric line that has lots of light-mid blue hues? I'd kinda like to do above pattern with white and blue to go with out lounge but I'm struggling to find a line that looks right. . . or even has mostly blue for that matter.

Any advice greatly appreciated!!

That's all for now,

Sarah

9 comments:

  1. That looks like a great starter pattern! Plus with charm squares it should be pretty quick to put together.
    I found some charm packs and bundles that might work, depending on what style/shade of blue you're going for. And then I know that many Etsy sellers will put together custom fat quarter bundles, if you specify a shade of blue or a fabric that you like then they'll pull coordinating shades.
    http://www.fatquartershop.com/store/stores_app/Browse_Item_Details.asp?Shopper_id=911345135399113&Store_id=499&page_id=23&Item_ID=66485&Parent_Ids=
    http://www.fatquartershop.com/store/stores_app/Browse_Item_Details.asp?Shopper_id=911345135399113&Store_id=499&page_id=23&Item_ID=69140&Parent_Ids=
    http://www.pinkchalkfabrics.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37_296_297&products_id=8730
    http://www.pinkchalkfabrics.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37_296_297&products_id=9205
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/86824593/kona-bundle-inspired-by-echo-cool-fat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great progress on April Showers. Sorry I can't help with the quilting question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow the pic's of the lake are so lovely! What I wouldn't give to be there right now.

    Can't wait to see more of April Showers. Happy Stitching :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hiya,
    I'd suggest looking at some fabric online shops for ideas for blues - there's a list of UK based ones on my blog - tab at the top called "fave shops".
    Quilting isn't actually that hard, I managed it after all! Sarah at FairyFace designs has been doing a Beginner's series, though it is elements of quilting rather than a quilt - take a look here http://fairyfacedesigns.blogspot.co.uk/p/sew-get-started-tutorials.html
    I had a quick google but it's hard to point you in the right direction without knowing what you want to know, if you see what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah, I look forward to seeing more of April Showers, its a lovely design :) wow, stunning pics of the lake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic start on April Showers:)

    I'm afraid I can't help you with the quilting stuff as it's something I don't do although I'd love to be able to:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi

    Those lake pictures are stunning.

    Your April Showers WIP is looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. April Showers is looking great, Sarah. I can see why that lake is one of your faves. It's stunning!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been quilting for the past 26 years and I also teach beginning quilting. I would say that would be a great first quilt. If you want more recommendations for books just email me and I'll point you in the right direction.

    As for a fabric line, it's really whatever your personal taste might be. I like the new Blackbird Designs' line called Blueberry Crumb Cake.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog! I love hearing from you and appreciate every one.