Thursday, April 5, 2012

Kindley Orts

Random title eh, but it does what it says on the box. Firstly, here are my very very very late March orts! Joining in, as always, with the TUSAL.


No pretty jar at the moment, my lovely canning jar was far to heavy and bulky to bring back from France! A replacement will have to be found.

I got a kindle as a late Christmas present from my parents just before we flew back to NZ. It took me a long time to convert to e-reading, and I have to admit I still haven't given up on normal books. But. . .  it is useful for our current lifestyle. There is such a difference between taking a 200 gram kindle in your carry-on luggage for long haul flights than taking at least 3 large books (I read fast, I got through 4 and a half books during my last long haul) with a combined weight of at least 1.5kg!

Ever since I got the dear object though I've been slightly afraid of dropping it somehow or it just slipping out of my hands. Solution. . . a cover, made by me, using this excellent tutorial.

This is the front. . .


And this is the inside, with all of its elastic straps and pocketed glory . . .


I love it. I think it's one of my favourite sewen objects that I've made myself. It's ultra-sturdy, practical and I don't feel like my kindle is going to go hitting the floor constantly anymore. Plus with the cover it feels kinda (kinda) like I'm reading an actual book

Back soon with crochet and stitching and stuff. Hope you all enjoy your Easter weekend and remember the true reason for the celebration, beyond all the chocolatey goodness. I'm heading away with hubby this evening to join the rest of my family in beautiful Lake Tekapo.

Sarah

10 comments:

  1. Lovely orts. Your kindle cover is gorgeous. I LOVE my kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your kindle cover, I still owe my Mum one as a late Christmas pressie, really must make one :)

    Alison
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your Kindle cover. You did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's an idea - you could cross stitch or embroider the cover of your favourite book so it really looks like a proper book!
    I can see that they are a very useful device for travelling. The enlarge font app is good for people with failing eyesight too.
    But I still prefer a real book LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What in the world is an ort?
    And I also prefer real books over a Kindle/Nook, but certainly long for the portability of an e-reader. My favorite thing about a book is the smell when you open it [even if it's not an old book!] and the weight of it as you're curled up in bed/the couch and reading under a blanket. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your cover! It's just beautiful. I'm sure you'll find a lovely jar for your ORTs soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job on the cover, Sarah! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am yet to be converted to the kindle, I love my books too much :P But congrats on creating such a gorgeous cover, it looks fab.
    Loving the new blog look too :)
    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty, colorful orts! Im trying to get used to reading e books too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your orts are quite colorful and your Kindle cover is so cute! Great sewing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog! I love hearing from you and appreciate every one.