Sunday, May 27, 2012

Books, Glorious Books!

In New Zealand we have this thing called Bookarama. It's usually a fundraiser for local Rotary clubs and they happen all over the country. People donate their old books (+ jigsaws, dvds, records, magazines etc) at local petrol stations and the like leading up to the bookarama, and then it all comes together in one massive, amazing secondhand book sale.

I've been going to these things since I was knee high to a grasshopper, my hometown one is one of the biggest in the country. This weekend was our new town's one and hubbys first experience of it!


As you can see we came away with quite a haul! Lots of fiction and beautifully bound classics in DH's pile (though I love the classics too, he just got to the table before me). Fiction, history, cooking and craft books for me - the giant one on the bottom of my pile is the Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Needlecraft. It is the most AMAZING book ever, I've been on the look out for it since I picked up its companion (Complete Guide to Sewing) at a previous bookarama. It has everything you could possibly want to know, from how to build a quilting frame at home, to how to design knitting patterns and what the best embroidery thread for your project is.

Needless to say we've spent our weekend with our noses in our new reads. Hope you're enjoying yours!

Sarah

P.S I've been getting very excited this week about some other book related goings-on in my life. More on that in my next post.

5 comments:

  1. What an amazing haul! I love books so hard. I have one of them fancy e-readers, but I think I bought it before I actually NEED one, because I still buy my books in their physical form. I want a bookarama in my area!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea and well done on your haul, guess you won't have much time for crafting now!!!
    Thanks for the email Sarah, it was really helpful xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love browsing local charity shops for second hand books, they're the best! Great haul, enjoy your reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow, you have no idea how jealous I am! You can't beat second hand books

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog! I love hearing from you and appreciate every one.