Thursday, May 31, 2012

Newsy New Stash

When we were living in France we were based up in the tiny alpine town of Oyonnax, at an outpost of hubby's Grandes école (for those of you not familiar with French, that's a particular type of university outside of the normal system). But we also took regular trips into Lyon, a city I absolutely love. Often our trips would be for DH to go to classes or meetings, so I'd be left on my own in the city for a few hours. One of the things I almost always did when I was by myself was go and wander the bookstores and admire all the beautiful craft books they have in France.

There was one particular slim book that I absolutely fell in love with. .  Sweet Home: petites maisons a broder au point de croix (little homes in embroidery and cross stitch).


The patterns in this book are just gorgeous. The French really know their cross stitch and embroidery!


At the time we were on an extremely tight budget. The book wasn't massively expensive at all, but it was enough that I couldn't really justify buying it without a reason! DH saw how much I loved it and said some magic words: 'I'll buy it for you, and it can be your congratulations present when you find a job back in New Zealand' (I'd just started putting in applications anticipating coming back).

For over nearly 6 months it's been stashed away in the top of the wardrobe. I've been good, I haven't even looked at it in all that time. This week it's coming down and taking pride of place on my bookshelf :)

In just over a week I start working full time for the district council in two of their rural libraries/council service centres. While I'm working they will pay for me to do the post-graduate training I need to become a qualified librarian. Yay for having a job, a possible career path and one that I know that I'll love!

Now to keep working through the list of things I need to get done before then. . .

Sarah

16 comments:

  1. AHHH congrats on getting a job!! That's so awesome! And it's fantastic that they'll pay for additional training.
    You should absolutely make that little pillow doodad on the front cover; it's beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The patterns in your book look really cute! Kudos to you for having the willpower to leave it tucked away all these months. And congrats on your new job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is fantastic! Well done. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! What a lovely finding-a-job present.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on getting the job. Look forward to seeing your stitching from the book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great news Sarah, well done you.
    Your little book loves lovely, not seen it before so looking forward to all your creations from it ~ the front cover heart looks adorable xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the new job!
    Alison
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Sarah! What a great new adventure for you. I know what you mean aboug Lyon being a great city. I visited there a few years back and wished I'd planned for more time there. The silk museum was to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Sarah! What a great new adventure for you. I know what you mean aboug Lyon being a great city. I visited there a few years back and wished I'd planned for more time there. The silk museum was to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet thing for your hubby to do.

    I hope you love your job, I love working in libraries and have for over half of my life now. I've found in the last few years the library and role of library staff has changed so much! Its a constant worry these days with so many budget cutbacks libraires are always the first to be slashed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on getting the job Sarah! Fantastic news.

    That book looks lovely. Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on getting a fab sounding job! And congrats on getting hold of the book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. congrats! you are so lucky... the book looks amazing too, I agree with you French really know their embroidery!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on the job! I'm so glad it's something you're enthusiastic about :)
    What a great reward too. I couldn't resist buying a little something at Cath Kidston this week, it was my reward for finishing my first week at work. That justifies it, right?
    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on the new job, another some-time Librarian here! I worked in a High School Library for a while, now I work in a book shop. I'm also being dragged into being involved in our local library as a volunteer because of all the stupid cutbacks.

    The French book is amazing, I love that style of stitching. I'm looking forward to seeing what you choose first.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just caught up with the news of your job! (OOOPS!) Congrats - I know you'll enjoy it. I was a librarian for almost my whole working life (1971 - 2007 with time off around 1978 for being a mum!) One of the best things is you can look at all the new craft books as they arrive and see which you fancy spending your own money on!
    Looking forward to seeing which pattern you sew first!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog! I love hearing from you and appreciate every one.