Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Starting my first quilt!

I've been pretty busy with my first week at work (so much fun), but when the fabric for my first ever attempt at a quilt arrived in the post I really couldn't resist getting started straight away. Yesterday evening I put together the layout for the centre of the quilt top while watching the NZ Masterchef final. .  and pestering hubby every ad break for advice. Tonight I managed to sew my first couple of rows together

My 'sewing table' in our lounge
The design floor!

Sorry for the bad light. It's midwinter here, so working from 8.30-5 means that I'm not home for enough natural light for photos.

I'm having lots of fun with the quilt so far. I'm pretty confident with my sewing machine, and at the moment I'm just sewing squares together, so it's easy. I chose a pretty simple pattern with precuts, so I can concentrate more on the skills I don't already know. I must confess though that because I haven't invested in a quarter-inch foot for my machine yet, I've been drawing them in with my dressmaking pencils just so I can make doubly sure I'm right instead of eye-balling it!

That's all for now,

Sarah

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on starting your first quilt! It looks beautiful. I can help you with a tip for that quarter inch seam. Measure from your needle out one quarter inch and stick a piece of tape there on your machine. Then as you are stitching along you can use the tape as your guide and not have to draw the lines on your fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh yay I'm so glad you're quilting! And with some California Girl, it must be so summery in all that winter!
    PS, I totally have all your prizes from the giveaway still, I've just had to collect a little spare change here and there once I found out how much the shipping was going to be. But it WILL be shipped out by the end of this week, I pinky promise. And I'm so so sorry that it's taken this long, I feel terrible about it!
    But now when you get it you'll be such a quilting pro that you'll be able to take all the charms and triangles and make something else out of them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on starting your first quilt. It looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt looks fab so far! I have yet start a quilt, am slowling cutting squares from fabric offcuts but I am not sure they will ever make it in to a quilt!

    Alison
    x
    p.s. nominated you for a bloggy award at my place today:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on making your first quilt (one of many)! The colors are really pretty

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a brilliant design for your first quilt! I can't wait to see it when it's all done. I would love to do some quilting, it's just finding the time to enjoy such things :)
    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for beginning your first quilt! I still need to do that and have plans of doing so in the summer. I love your choice of fabrics! It'll look great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog! I love hearing from you and appreciate every one.