Monday, February 25, 2013

Cooking: Bottling Rhubarb

Our summer this year (lots of rain, followed by lots of sun) has meant there's been a glut in the vegetable garden. Although we don't have one ourselves this year, we've received a bounty from generous neighbours, colleagues and friends who have more than enough to share! Often the amounts we've been given are to much for two people to eat in a short period of time. We don't have a big freezer, so I thought I'd give bottling a try.


I started with rhubarb, which I love stewed in strudel or crumbles, but not so much plain. I found some jars in the back of the cupboard with nice clean, resealable lids and got to work. It was surprisingly easy! It took less than an hour while I was also doing other things to bottle three jars (including sterilising the jars).

I used Microwave Bottling, by Isabel Webb for the recipe. It's an 80's book I picked up at a second hand book fair and has lots of gorgeous looking recipes for simple preserving. I think some apple puree might be next!

4 comments:

  1. YUM! That rhubarb looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhubarb crumble is my favourite, great first attempt at bottling! Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog! I love hearing from you and appreciate every one.