Saturday, March 2, 2013

Getting into Dressmaking

At the end of last year I started taking a dressmaking course. It's something I'd been wanting to do for a while and the city we moved to in March last year just happened to have a FANTASTIC sewing store that had exactly the type of class I was looking for (where you choose a pattern and the instructor is just there to help you when you get stuck). Unfortunately the classes are so popular that when I registered in May I had to wait until October to start!

My first project was a dress - Simplicity It's Sew Easy 2884 (I did version B). It was lots of fun and I was thrilled with the result, because it's BY FAR the most constructed garment I've ever made.


Here's a front view. The fabric was from Spotlight (which is a homewares and craft store here in NZ, my nearest one is two hours away, so I don't get to visit often). Now for the back, complete with odd tan lines from our holiday!


The only thing I'm not completely happy with is the fit at the top front of the bodice. It tends to hang forward a little, until I'm at risk of exposing my chest to the world! I think I might be able to fix it with some thought and time though.


The neck strap is one of my favourite features - the button was such a good find! Now I just need lots of semi-dressy occasions to wear the dress too! I haven't had one since I finished it!

I'll be sharing more of my dressmaking class pieces soon. It's such a fun class and it's so nice to have three solid hours set aside once a week for my sewing machine.

That's all for now,
Sarah

6 comments:

  1. Your dress is gorgeous and the fabric is amazing! I am itching to make a summer dress but am waiting till the temperature is in double figures at least :)

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. A gorgeous dress. Well done for making it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow so pretty..well done dear x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I'm so envious of your new talent! The dress is gorgeous, you must be so proud :)
    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey well done! What a fab dress!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog! I love hearing from you and appreciate every one.