Friday, April 12, 2013

Sewing: The Get-around Bag

This is another dressmaking class project. I've been meaning to try some serious bag-making for a long time, but it's taken my recent leap in sewing confidence from dressmaking to actually get me there!


The pattern is this one. I made it as is, though I think if (when) I make it again, I might make a few changes, especially to the construction of the inner pocket. But I loved every single step of putting this one together. It was just one of those projects where everything goes right and I'm thrilled with the results.


This bag is for me, but now I know I can turn out bags like this, I think there may be a few for friends and family in future. Love it.

One small word of warning for anyone else contemplating this pattern - it's a great pattern, but it does call for something called 'gucci style bamboo handles' with a broken link to the pattern designers supply shop. After failing to find any reference to such a thing anywhere else on the web, I emailed the shop - they said they are no longer stocking the handles, and also refused to give me the dimensions. Which I thought was quite poor, considering they're commercially selling the pattern. I had to wait until I'd finished the rest of the bag, then have a measure up so I could source handles. For anyone else wanting to make this bag: making it as is, you need 9 - 9 1/2" width handles. The ones on my bag are 9 1/2", I got them from here.

6 comments:

  1. Ooooh what a gorgeous bag! I love the fabric.

    Alison
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely bag, bags are so much easier than clothes so you'll be well away. That's disgusting behaviour from U Handbag, I'd complain to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant project, I can see why you're thrilled :)
    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, that's darling!!! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog! I love hearing from you and appreciate every one.