Monday, May 27, 2013

The First Quilt

We finally got some sun in the weekend! It was brief, wintery sun (as in so brief that it snowed today), but it was still sun. Which meant I took some pictures of my first EVER finished quilt. So here it is.


It's lovely. And I'm so proud of it. I did every single bit of this thing myself. I pierced it, I basted it, I quilted it and I bound it. It was fun. I'll be doing it again (and soon). 


There are no blocks in this thing, it's just a simple pattern of charm squares with sashing really. But I'm ok with that. It's bright and lovely and cheers up the back of my couch no end. (the pattern is Happy Weekender, by Kim Niedzwiecki on Moda Bake Shop) 


Here's an awful sun-glare photo of the back. Which makes me realise that all of these photos are actually of the quilt upside down, because that strip should be at the top. Oh well. Doesn't make it any less snuggly. 

 The details: Fabric is California Girl by Fig Tree & Co for Moda, supplemented with white solid from my LQS. Binding in Robin's Egg from Fig Tree & Co (Avalon line I think).
Machine quilted by me in a rectangle repeat.
Backed with white solid + leftover charms.
Lap size, approx 150 x 170 cm (60 x 67 inches).

I'll hopefully be starting on number two soon. Which will involve a bit more cutting (though not much). I think after that I better think about doing a sampler. Just so I actually figure out those things called blocks, know what I mean? 

Sarah



7 comments:

  1. You did a great job! Welcome to the dark side known as quilting :) Let's build up your fabric stash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow so beautiful..well done x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous, it looks fantastic!

    Alison
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your first quilt! It looks brilliant :D
    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous finish. I love it .XXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your first quilt! Love the photo of the back. You can really see the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's really lovely, well done you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog! I love hearing from you and appreciate every one.