Monday, June 3, 2013

My Iron Broke

Yesterday, the plate on my iron broke. Its had a crack right across it since 22nd February 2011. I was living in the city of Christchurch then. There was an earthquake. It killed 185 people. My iron fell off its board in the laundry and there's been a big crack in it ever since.


This last week marked the 1000th day since the original Christchurch earthquake, which was a 7.1 on the 4th September 2010. A lot has happened since then. There's been more earthquakes. Tens of thousands of them. It has settled down now, with just the occasional one to remind us all they're still there.

I no longer live in Christchurch, the natural course of life eventually moved me on. Christchurch itself is starting to recover, but there's still lots of hardships. Endless roadworks, bickering over whats going to happen to certain buildings etc. I love reading Deb's blog, she keeps me up to date with what people are feeling there as things progress.

It has taken two years for that iron to finally break. I think that says a lot about the whole thing really. Surviving. Recovery. Resilience. Breaking points. All I really know for sure is that it's time to buy a new iron. I won't be forgetting the old one though. It takes a pretty special iron to carry on like that for such a long time.


Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog! I love hearing from you and appreciate every one.