Thursday, August 29, 2013

Framing some hardanger!

I started my first attempt at hardanger embroidery way back in May and actually probably finished it sometime in June. But it's taken me months to find a frame the right size for it!! In the end I had one custom made online, one of those many little get-around-to jobs I've been getting around to while I'm at home after surgery. So here's how it turned out!


The hardanger itself wasn't to trying once I'd gotten used to it. The cutwork was a bit nerve wracking at first, but once you've done the first couple of cuts and confirmed that the whole thing IS NOT going to fall to pieces on you it's quite satisfying to attack your embroidery with scissors :-P

I framed it myself, using the walnut frame I ordered online (the company had GREAT service and prices for custom frames by the way, if you're a kiwi looking for frames, let me know and I'll pass on their details). I backed the cutwork with a piece of greenish-whiteish quilting fabric, which looks far better in real life than it does in these sun glarey pictures, I promise! To make it easy on myself, I used spray adhesive to stick the fabric straight to the matboard, then laced the hardanger over it.


The Details 
Pattern: A Precious Jewel, from 'Stitch' magazine no.76 (April/May 2012)
Threads: Caron Watercolours/Wildflowers Nefertiti
Fabric: 25 ct cream Lugana
Finishing: Walnut frame

So there you go! My first attempt at hardanger, with no major mishaps. I think I'll be doing more again in future. One tip - using white thread on white fabric is probably best for beginners. I spent about two hours poking away the ends of cut evenweave so they weren't blindingly obvious against the coloured threads. 

Sarah


5 comments:

  1. Lovely! I'm trying to learn how to do it, but yes, the thought of CUTTING fabric around my stitching is putting me off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It put me off for a long time too, but it's really not difficult once you get over the nerves!

      Delete
  2. A lovely finish. The frame is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww sweet finish ..well done
    Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great finish. Love your choice of colors!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog! I love hearing from you and appreciate every one.