Wednesday, December 4, 2013

The Big Move Update #2

Here I am on the other side of the world! It's been a hectic few weeks, hence why I'm only now scraping together five minutes to post a quick update for all on how things have been going. We hit the ground in the UK a week and a half ago. Flights all went smoothly and I managed to get over 8 hours sleep on the Hong Kong-London leg, which is unusual for me on planes.

We had a day of rest before starting the hunt for a car. Our first day of hunting was a little discouraging, as it quickly became apparent that to insure me on even the smallest car on my NZ driver's licence would be more than the cost of the car. We eventually came to the conclusion that it would be more practical to insure just the husband and I won't drive until I can switch my NZ licence for a UK one (in 6 months time). I'll miss driving, but it just isn't worth the cost!!! On our second day of hunting we were lucky enough to find the perfect car - exactly what we were looking for, in very tidy condition, and on budget. So we are now the owners of an 07 Renault Megane hatchback.

We spent the rest of the first week shopping - for both clothes we had delayed buying until after the move, and some beginning household goods that we would need straight away. And of course spending plenty of time with my in-laws! This week we have moved up to the part of the country we will be living in permanently and started the search for a house. We seem to be on a two-day roll, as once again the first day of house hunting was discouraging, with nothing quite right, but on the second day we found just what we were looking for. It was then a mad dash to the rental agency's office to get our name down first, as we knew there were others viewing it right after us! We got there in time, but are now playing the waiting game while they check our references.

On the whole, all is going well! We have very limited internet, so until we have a house to move into and internet set up I don't expect to be checking in to often. There is little we can do but wait now the house application is in, so we'll spend the next few days getting to know the area around our new home.

Sarah

5 comments:

  1. What an exciting time! I'm glad luck has been shining down on you. I can't wait to see pictures when you are settled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the move went smoothly, fingers crossed for the house, hope you get it !

    Alison
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on getting the two big things sorted so easily. (At least I hope the house goes through!) Sure it will all be fine. Keep us up-to-date when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you get to settle in your new home soon and congrats on finding the perfect car :)
    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the UK! Hope you find a lovely house soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog! I love hearing from you and appreciate every one.