Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Intoducing the Cookbook Challenge

As it turns out, a fairly large part of my crafty life is baking. And cooking in general to be honest is starting to creep up there too. And I love books. Which means. .  . I love cookbooks. I love owning them, paging through them, covering them with post-it notes.

I'm just guilty of one little thing . . . not actually using them. I have a massive stack of gorgeous cookbooks and my go-to for new recipe ideas is still the internet. There's a couple I use regularly, but even then it's only particular recipes and great chunks of the book go completely unloved.

So I'm challenging myself to expand my kitchen horizons and give my cookbooks some more love. Of course, I need some way to keep myself on track, so I'll be sharing my attempts and thoughts here on the blog.


 The Rules (self imposed)

1. I have to try out at least one recipe from every cookbook I own and document it here on the blog. If it's a cookbook I already use regularly, I have to try a recipe I haven't used before. 
2. There's no official time limit and I'm not going to beat myself up if I don't manage it, but I'm going to be aiming for one recipe a week. 
3. Any new cookbooks that come into the house while the challenge is ongoing must be added to the official list. 
4. I can put off using cookbooks I don't have the equipment for ie: since moving to the UK we haven't bought a microwave or a slow cooker yet. 

Fairly straightforward I think. So without further ado, here's my master list of cookbooks. I'll be adding this list to it's own tab on my header and hopefully linking up my progress as we go. Cookbooks that I use regularly already and have to try something new from are marked with a *


The Classic 1000 Cake and Bake recipes, by Wendy Hobson
1 Mix, 50 Cakes
1 Mix, 50 Cookies
Three & Four Ingredient Cookbook, by Jenny White & Joanna Farrow
Joan Bishop's New Zealand Crockpot & Slow Cooker Cookbook*
Slow Cooking, by Katie Bishop
Macaron, by Alison Thompson
Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day, by Jeff Hetzberg
Microwave Bottling, by Isabel Webb
Bake, by Allyson Gofton*
A Year's Worth: Recipes from the Dunsandel Store, by Sam Mannering
Country Calendar Cookbook, by Allyson Gofton
Good Food Made Simple, by Allyson Gofton
The Hairy Biker's Great Curries, by Si King & Dave Myers
Complete Comfort Food, by Bridget Jones
Edmonds Cookery Book* (not pictured)

Wish me luck! Are you like me and an avid cookbook collector and not user? Or do yours get lots of use? 

Sarah

7 comments:

  1. I loathe cooking though it's better since I got a slow cooker, they have them for £12 in tesco by the way....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's obscene the amount of cookbooks I have, and like you, I only cook one thing per book, if at all!. I've brought one cookbook since being back in NZ, the rest are still packed in the garage!. As the above poster commented, Tesco or Sainsburys will have slow cookers, and microwaves, although as you're going into warmer weather they may go off the shelves. Argos is another option. I got a good named brand there a year before I came home, & have brought it with me - again still packed in the garage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have reined in my cookbook buying, half of them have never been used LOL. I do use my Joan Bishop one though and the Edmonds Cookbook gets a regular airing especially when I need to make mustard sauce to go with corned beef :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my that is like reading about myself!!! I'm absolutely the same. I have a stack of cookbooks that I keep looking at and saying 'ohh that looks lovely, must make that' then don't! I have also been trying to get myself motivated to expand the recipes I use at home. Your idea is great! I have the Three/Four Ingredient Cookbook and have made some things in it. The Roasted Peppers with Halloumi and Pine Nuts is delicious if you like Vegetarian food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with your latest challenge! I'm so guilty of this too. I have plenty of gorgeous cookbooks that have never seen the kitchen! I look forward to following this challenge :)
    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha I hear ya!! I signed up for Eat Your Books which catalogues all your books. I think I have over 150 according to EYB!! I find I use them a lot more now. I will just key in a recipe name and it tells me which books the recipe is in or ingredients and it will give me a bunch of recipes that use them. Certainly makes me use my books a lot more.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog! I love hearing from you and appreciate every one.