Thursday, March 27, 2014

The Cookbook Challenge: Edmonds Cookery Book





Last week, as promised, I got onto using my cookbooks for the Cookbook Challenge. We had multiple guests over the weekend, so I was filling the baking tins anyway. After lots of browsing, I chose a recipe I hadn't tried before from the Edmonds Cookery Book.




The Edmonds Cookery Book is a New Zealand classic. Like most Kiwi's, I grew up watching mum use it, did some of my first cooking from it and was duly presented with my own copy when leaving for uni. It covers everything, from sauces to baking to party food to meat & fish. It's one of the few cookbooks I own that I use all the time - it's my go-to for classics like mustard sauce and banana loaf. Fool-proof, classic cooking. 

The recipe I tried was for Peanut Brownies . . .


I struggled with getting the oven temperature right, which meant some turned out a little crispy! But the recipe was extremely easy and the biscuits (even with the crispy) turned out very morish - hard to eat just one. I suspect its a recipe I'll use again, hopefully perfecting the oven temp - like so many recipes in the Edmonds it's simple to put together and yummy. All the makings of another go-to recipe. 

One down. . . on to the next cookbook on the shelf! 


Sarah

3 comments:

  1. Make them with half cashews half peanuts and they are even better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really interesting challenge, I look forward to reading the next instalment :)
    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog! I love hearing from you and appreciate every one.