Sunday, February 8, 2015

A quilt top and owning our mistakes

You learn a lot of life lessons through crafting, I find. Patience, perseverance, being kind to yourself, owning up to your mistakes, the importance of continuing to learn. All things I've learnt.

This week I finished a quilt top. I started it way back in 2012. The pieces have moved country with us, and I can honestly say that my entire life has changed since I started it.


For long lengths of time the pieces of this one sat in 'the naughty cupboard.' I wasn't far into it when I discovered I'd made some pretty unfixable mistakes and I wasn't sure what I should do. Give up? Unpick the whole thing and try and start again (knowing the fabric probably wouldn't survive a second attempt)? Just keep going, hope for the best and not care that at the very least the points wouldn't match and at worst it wouldn't come together at all?


Eventually I decided on the lets-keep-going route. It would be a learning experience. Only my second quilt top after all. I can't tell you how many things went wrong with this top. Every stage of the process felt like a battle. It tested all of the lessons that I mentioned. From those initial mistakes came problems later down the line. A mistake in the maths in the pattern (hubby checked) meant the final top has one block more of one type than it should have, and one less than the other type (I didn't have the fabric to make another block and honestly by that point I didn't even care any more).


But it's finished. And I love it just as much for the mistakes as for the bits I got perfectly right. I'm still not sure how the quilting is going to go - the mistakes mean this thing doesn't lay as flat as I like.

I'm going to finish it though. And when I do, I'm going to use it, with pride. And a happy reflection upon how our mistakes make us who we are just as much as our successes do. Sometimes you just have to own that for what it is.



 And sometimes you have to try and not care when the cat decides to wander over your just completed half-white quilt top.

2 comments:

  1. It is gorgeous! I love the bright colours and being a non quilter I would never know there were mistakes! A x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a very pretty quilt and if the 'mistakes' ever start to annoy you, feel free to send it my way ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog! I love hearing from you and appreciate every one.