Monday, January 26, 2015

Cross Stitch: Spring Chicks Finished

I started these Spring Chicks back in April last year! But finishing my Christmas projects has put me into the mood to finish off some other outstanding projects as well.

Sometimes things don't turn out the way you intended. I started these off for a spring-themed pillow, but by the time I finished I realised that the colours I'd chosen didn't look quite right for what I had in mind.

No matter. Things not turning out as one expected has its own rewards. Throw in some card blanks and ribbon and these two chicks have turned into some lovely cards for a few birthdays coming up. Yay for serendipity (and another project off the WIP pile).

In other news the sadness that is winter continues to mean artificial light photos. . . 

The Details
Pattern: Freebie, I think it was from the Coats Craft website, but can't find it there anymore
Fabric: Misc 14ct cream aida from stash
Threads: Assorted DMC of my own choosing
Finishing: Card blanks and ribbon thanks to HobbyCraft

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Sewing: Kindle Cover

Just after Christmas my three year old Kindle gave up the ghost. I turned it on one day and there was a large white blot across the screen that just wasn't going to go away (the technologically minded husband confirmed it).

My Kindle has become probably my most beloved piece of electronic equipment and it quickly became clear that I couldn't live without one for long. Enter Kindle 2.0.

The cover I made three years ago had been starting to look more than a little tatty, so Kindle 2.0 also called for Kindle cover 2.0

Cover 2.0 is a little more sophisticated than version one, reflecting my increase in confidence and sewing skills over the last three years. Fewer raw edges, tidier top stitching (though I admit sewing through the six+ layers of fabric and catching them all hasn't got any easier with time, even with the addition of a walking foot).

Look at those lovely corners! The fabric is some gorgeous Amy Butler I had stashed away, Josephine's Bouquet Ink from the Cameo collection. In fact this entire project came from stash, apart from 40p of elastic.

Some brilliant guidance came from this tutorial, which I made a few (minor) adjustments to. Right, next on the agenda is a bag to keep our new Sat Nav in!

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Christmas Project #2

My second Christmas project was our annual ornament from 2013! It was started to late to get it finished in time for Christmas that year, and with all the turmoil that moving country brings was still a fair way off by the second half of 2014. But by Christmas it was hanging proudly on the tree.

You've seen this one in progress here. I picked it for our annual ornament the year we moved to the UK because it sort of has an air of travel around it (with the postmark and all) and the move was certainly a leap of faith!

I think it is the dear husband's favourite in our annual ornament series so far, and I have to admit the finished product looks pretty special (it is backed simply with red felt). For me though, it will always make me think of the grief it gave me. It had one of the most unnecessarily complicated pattern symbologies I've ever come across, and the fabric and thread in kit were bad enough to make me feel like giving up plenty of times.

It was worth sticking with it in the end though. . .

The Info
Dimensions Gold Collection "Faith" Ornament (kit)
Fabric and threads as kitted
Finished according to kit instructions

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Christmas Project #1

Remember those three Christmas projects? They all got done and were in place a week before Christmas! I vowed I would take photos before they got packed away and waited for a day with good enough light. . . and promptly forgot. They got packed away with the rest of the Christmas bits and pieces! Fortunately our Christmas box is easy to access and they've been unpacked again so I can show you.

The day with a good light still hasn't materialised, so excuse my artificial light photos.

I've done an annual ornament each year for other half and I since the year we got engaged and I try to pick something thats representative of the year that's past. I felt like this design reflected the new addition to our lives in 2014 quite nicely:

The design is finished as a flat ornament with a silver twisted cord trim. My first successful border trim attachment finish! It's backed with a scrap leftover from one of my other Christmas projects (that one coming soon).

The Info
Pattern: Christmas Cat Tree, by Brittercup Designs (Just Cross Stitch Ornament ed. 2011)
Threads: DMC, charted by me. The tree is 4050.
Fabric: 32 count Permin Linen, Lambswool